Senior Scientist Formulation Development at Janssen Vaccines
Janssen Vaccines & Prevention, one of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, is dedicated to bringing meaningful innovation to global health. Our teams focus on the discovery, development, manufacture and marketing of vaccines to protect people worldwide from infectious diseases. We have built a dedicated, world-class, multi-functional team across a variety of disciplines to develop a promising vaccines pipeline.
In Leiden, we have a workforce of 700 scientists and support staff. 45% of our employees has a nationality other than Dutch, with over 20 nationalities represented. We partner with many of the world’s leading experts, academic and clinical institutions and other pharmaceutical companies for the development of vaccines against, for example, Ebola and HIV.
In our organization, entrepreneurial people are working in a dynamic culture in which innovation and a 'can do' state of mind are of crucial importance. We are continuously looking for enthusiastic, talented people who have the ambition to develop themselves and can be of value to Janssen. The offices of Janssen Vaccines & Prevention are located in Leiden, The Netherlands.
The Drug Product Development (DPD) department consists of four teams that work closely together: Formulation Development (FD), Fill/Finish Process (FFP), Formulation Science & Technology (FST), and Technical Integrators (TI).
The DPD department develops the bulk drug substance and drug product formulations, the aseptic compounding and fill/finish processes, and oversees DP manufacturing at fill/finish sites within and outside Janssen.
The department is embedded in the broader Vaccine Process & Analytical Development (VPAD) organization and collaborates with the clinical (supply) teams to define the storage and distribution network, and to generate in-use stability data.
The individual is responsible for the complete trajectory of formulation development, including writing plans, managing the experimental work, analyzing the data and reporting the results in written and oral form. The individual creates Intellectual Property with an enterprise-wide mindset and participates in project teams and other forums where formulation expertise is required.
- Provides translation of scientific goals into actions to accomplish the targets or project needs
- Designs experiments to reach these project targets. Accountable for accompanying documentation such as Study Plans and Study Reports
- Delivers assigned project deliverables with high quality, within budget and timelines
- Participates in DPD sub-teams, ensuring alignment with project needs through Technical Integrator. Takes the lead in scientific discussions, focus on solutions
- Defines formulation development strategy based on long-term project needs
- Translates scientific uncertainty into quality and business risks and takes ownership for those risks
- Is accountable for proper recording of information and collection of the data and for review of experimental results
- Discusses problems and presents plans and data in the Science Meeting. Presents regularly during the Journal Club. Leading intellectual participation in DPD science meetings, engages others
- Ensures the availability of materials and equipment to perform experiments. Anticipates needs and justifies the purchase of new materials and equipment
- Provides training and coaching of trainees, assistant/associate scientists and mentors scientists
- Optionally: line responsibility for (assistant/associate) scientists. Ensures safe and pleasant work environment with sufficient personal development. Empowers people to act with speed, agility, and accountability
- Challenges the status-quo; leads and adapts to change
- Value creation. Is responsible for innovation, conception of new ideas. Creates Intellectual Property. Is insight-driven to uncover unmet needs. Should write scientific publications and patents
Key Performance Indicators
- Reviews scientific work (including FD peer-review) in project and related fields and collaborates with other groups, cultivating external relationships and partnerships. Forges internal collaboration across all levels of the enterprise
- Presents on scientific meetings, conferences and courses (internal and external)
- Complies to EHS and GRP-standards and has solid JnJ Credo awareness acting accordingly
- Translates scientific results into (platform) process improvements. Leads implementation of improvements.
- Presents in relevant governing bodies.
- Is skilled in pro-active identification of issues, problem-solving, and timely implementation of solutions
- Ability to engage in in-depth scientific as well as high level strategic discussions
- Ability to think and challenge beyond own expertise area
- Takes quick action through rapid learning cycles driven by scientific curiosity
- Can act as backup for Head of Formulation Development
- Personal targets
Specific professional/technical requirements
- Education: PhD in a relevant discipline, like (medical) biology, pharmaceutical sciences or (bio)chemistry
- Languages: English
- Experience: At least 5 years of industry experience with all facets of formulation development covering multiple product types, early-and late stage development, adjuvants, container-closure systems and stability studies is a prerequisite, as is a working knowledge of assays and quality systems, like GMP.
- Other: Pro-active, flexible, and enjoys working in a team. Excellent organizational and communication skills, creativity and a strong scientific mindset are key for this position.
What’s in it for you…?
“Caring for the world, one person at a time…”
As an employee, we consider you as our most valuable asset. We take your career seriously. As part of a global team in an innovative environment your development is key and our day-to-day responsibility. Through e-university, on the job training, various projects and programs, we ensure your personal growth. Our benefits make sure we care for you and your family now and in the future.
Will you be our new colleague? Please visit careers.jnj.com look for 1805653490W and apply online.