Senior Scientist Upstream Development, Woburn, USA at Batavia Biosciences
Batavia Biosciences is a Biopharmaceutical company dedicated to providing high quality biopharmaceuticals for proof-of-concept studies & clinical trials, as well as performing product development for all major classes of biotechnological products. The company focuses on the early stages of product development with services ranging from DNA cloning, mammalian cell line generation, upstream process development (mammalian and microbial cell platforms), purification development, assay development, and clinical manufacturing. Headquartered in Leiden, The Netherlands, Batavia Biosciences is privileged to have strong strategic partners in both the Netherlands and the United States of America.
We are looking for a Senior Scientist Upstream Development for our R&D department in Woburn, MA. We are seeking for a highly motivated expert in cell culture, virus and viral vector process development.
You will be involved in a team which works closely with Batavia Biosciences team in Leiden, the Netherlands to develop viral and viral vector based processes. For this pivotal role we are looking for a Senior scientist with at least 5-10 years of experience in cell and virus process development.
You will join a team that performs project activities ranging from DNA cloning, mammalian cell line generation to upstream process development. Most of the projects are related to viral and viral vector vaccine development and is funded by biopharmaceutical companies or ngo’s, such as the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. The team collaborates closely with the down-stream processing and assay team in a number of large process development projects which are executed according to aggressive timelines.
The successful candidate will be involved in writing proposals, protocols and reports.
You will join a stimulating group of internationals in a very collaborative environment. As part of this group, personal as well as scientific growth are encouraged and developed. In this position, you will report to the Head of Operations of the Woburn Facility.
- Ph.D. degree in life science, biotechnology or related field with five to ten years of relevant experience;
- Experience in process development for cell and virus production processes. Experience in designing and performing DOE experiments;
- Experience in working with adherent and suspension cells;
- Experience in working with virus at BSL-2;
- Experience in technology transfer from development to manufacturing groups;
- Working experience in cell line development (for example: vector design, vector construction, sub cloning, cell line expansion, cell banking, cell line stability studies, high-throughput cell line screening methods) is highly desirable.
- Enthusiastic and ability to adapt to a dynamic environment;
- Hands-on mentality and willingness to work in the laboratory;
- Ability to independently design and execute research and client projects;
- Ability to lead and manage scientists in his/her area of responsibility;
- Ability to provide expert input for preparation of client technical proposals;
- Ability to identify, train and retain talented individuals in his/her area of responsibility;
- Capable of working independently, as well as collaborate with the team;
- Excellent communication and documentation skills;
- Capable of complex troubleshooting/problem solving;
- Capable of keeping meticulous track of experimental data and results in lab notebooks, understand the necessary prioritizing multiple tasks and meeting deadlines.