Scientist preclinical immunology at Janssen Vaccines
Janssen Vaccines & Prevention, previously Crucell, one of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, is dedicated to bringing meaningful innovation to global health. Our teams focus on the discovery, development, manufacture and marketing of vaccines and antibodies to protect people worldwide from infectious diseases.
In our organization entrepreneurial people are working in a dynamic culture in which innovation and a 'can do' state of mind are the central points. In order to strengthen our team we are continuously looking for enthusiastic, talented people who have the ambition to develop themselves and can be of value to Janssen.
For our Viral Vaccines department, we are currently recruiting for a fulltime Scientist preclinical immunology
Location: Leiden, Netherlands
The Viral Vaccine discovery and translational medicine department focuses on the research and development of vaccines against viral infectious diseases. Within Viral Vaccines, the Preclinical Immunology group evaluates the immunogenicity and efficacy of vaccine candidates against viral infectious diseases in suitable animal models. The main focus of the group is to conduct proof of concept studies to generate appropriate scientific data to enable progression of vaccine candidates towards clinical evaluation and to generate supportive data for clinical development.
We are seeking a highly motivated scientist with at least 3 years of postdoctoral or industry experience in the field of vaccines, immunology, and / or vaccine design. The scientist will participate in cross functional teams to support the discovery and development of viral vaccine candidates with the aim to move these candidates towards clinical testing and/or licensure. Support of clinical testing will include studies to identify correlates of vaccine induced protection and how these can be translated to characterize human vaccine potency during early stage clinical testing to predict late stage vaccine efficacy.
The role requires profound knowledge of immunological techniques such as virus neutralization assays, ELISA, FACS analysis, and other project specific readout systems to characterize the immune response to the vaccine candidates. Thorough knowledge of the immune response in HIV vaccine models to assess immunogenicity and efficacy of HIV vaccine candidates are strongly preferred. Experience in recombinant antigen design and characterization and / or adjuvant assessment and selection is a plus.
The scientist will be responsible for the coordination and execution of preclinical studies supporting our HIV vaccine discovery and development programs at multiple locations. Excellent communication skills and experience in study design, protocol writing, result documentation, evaluation and reporting, and internal/external presentation of data are required.
The role requires team player skills, self-motivation and initiative, project management skills, reliability, efficiency, flexibility enthusiasm and the willingness to travel for work for extended periods.
Areas of responsibility
- Plan, manage and execute research projects
- Provide scientific rationale for proof of concept and supportive studies
- Keep up to date with newest developments in the field and implement novel technology or readout assays
- Translate research goals into action and accomplish the research target(s)
- Create intellectual property
- Present data to internal and external audiences
- Writing of industry-style study reports
- Writing of scientific publications and provision of input to regulatory documents
- At least 3 years of postdoctoral or industry experience in the field of vaccines, immunology, and / or vaccine design.
- Art 9 certified (Art 9 is the Dutch equivalent to FELASA C)
- Immunology/Vaccine Background
- Understanding of vaccine manufacturing processes and immunogen design
- Cross functional team thinking
- Scientific skills (knowledge, accuracy, autonomy etc)
- Training and communication skills
- Experience in research project design
What’s in it for you…?
“Caring for the world, one person at a time…”
As an employee, we consider you as our most valuable asset. We take your career seriously. As part of a global team in an innovative environment your development is key and our day-to-day responsibility. Through e-university, on the job training, various projects and programs, we ensure your personal growth. Our benefits make sure we care for you and your family now and in the future.
Will you be our new colleague?
Please visit careers.jnj.com look for 1805644659W and apply online.