Operational Team Leader – Laboratory and Pilot Scale at Janssen Vaccines
Janssen Vaccines & Prevention, one of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, is dedicated to bringing meaningful innovation to global health. Our teams focus on the discovery, development, manufacture and marketing of vaccines and antibodies to protect people worldwide from infectious diseases.
In our organization entrepreneurial people are working in a dynamic culture in which innovation and a 'can do' state of mind are the central points. In order to strengthen our team we are continuously looking for enthusiastic, talented people who have the ambition to develop themselves and can be of value to Janssen.
The ‘Down Stream Processing’ (DSP) department forms part of the Drug Substance Development group and develops & characterizes processes for purifying and formulating recombinant viruses from harvest as a vaccine production platform. These processes must be safe, scalable and economically viable. They will be implemented in a GMP pilot plant facility for the production of clinical trial material and scaled-up for commercial production.
We are looking for a motivated Operational Team Lead, who is responsible for the operational organization of the DSP development team (lab & pilot scale, a diverse team of ~18 persons) and supervises the activities, personnel and facilities of the team to ensure a smooth execution of experiments to meet project demands. In this role, you delegate different tasks within the team in such a way that the strengths & growth potential of the team members is utilized to their full potential. In addition, you will be the line-manager of part of the team.
Your main tasks will be:
- Planning of resources, ensuring timely execution of DSP experiments on lab & pilot scale to meet project demands
- Manage the team dynamics of a group of ~18 professionals
- Guide the team in defining & implementing lean work processes for a smooth operational execution
- Ensure and maintain the proper EHS&S and Quality standard of the team
- Responsible for the development of direct reports, including the 5 conversations and have a key role in recruitment of new hires
- Enables that the team is up to date with DSP new developments & technologies (eg by visiting relevant symposia & seminars)
- Supports cross departmental collaboration with other departments (eg USP, GMP pilot plant and Commercial production facility, ensuring optimal (operational) knowledge sharing and assuring aligned process execution on all scales
- Be part of the DSP LT team, support in the defining and follow up on departmental goals and provide input in setting the annual departmental budget
- If required (eg in case of a special project or during peak moments) can act as experimental lead and/or gives hands-on support in the execution of the experiments
- BSc/MSc in chemical engineering, microbiology or similar life science related field with minimum of 5 years of hands-on operational DSP experience (lab, pilot and/or production scale)
- Minimal 3 years of People Management Experience (min 4-5 FTE)
- Experience with Process Excellence (Minimum Green belt certificate)
- Preferably experience with cGMP requirements.
The most important competencies for this position are:
- Supportive leadership skills
- Organizational skills
- Managerial capabilities (i.e. initiative and follow-up, priority setting, creativity, job satisfaction and development of staff)
- Effective in team-based/matrix environment, focused on people management
- Demonstrated communication capabilities
- Quality, efficiency, accuracy and reliability of work
- Planning, adherence to timelines
If you are interested in the position and match the above criteria, please apply online.