Research Fellow /Principal Scientist at Charles River Nederland
For nearly 70 years, Charles River employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform. In return, we’ll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about.
As a recognized internal and external expert, the Research Fellow will proactively contribute scientific (technical, therapeutic and drug discovery) knowledge to multiple programs to ensure that program objectives are met. In addition, the person in this role will also be expected to act as a role model for scientific excellence and mentor other scientific staff.
- Solve complex and multiple problems on own and others’ work on a day-to-day basis through independent thought and creativity in science and technology.
- Interrogate biological data generated for the project and use these data to achieve the project goals.
- Provide expert biology input, enforcing robust scientific rigor to assigned and others’ programs, to ensure that project objectives are met.
- Present own and, where appropriate, others work confidently, internally and to the client.
- Take the lead in providing robust scientific strategy in order to expedite own and others’ project progress.
- Maintain a strong awareness of the current scientific literature, significant drug discovery developments and contemporary laboratory practices, and share these findings across the department.
- Attend appropriate training sessions identified with support of line manager.
- Act as a leading drug discovery mentor within the biology department.
- Drive best practice within the biology department (e.g., safety, efficiency, technology).
- Act as project team lead by monitoring and reporting to the project manager and client on all aspects of the project with regard to timings and resources.
- Be a primary contact for Business Development, contributing to proposals and face-to-face meetings in order to secure and win new business.
- Represent and promote CRL externally.
The following are minimum requirements related to the Research Fellow position:
- Ph.D. or M.Sc.
- Post-doctoral studies desirable.
- Strong therapeutic experience within a drug discovery department/organization (industry/academic).
- At least 5 years experience in a CRO or Pharma environment.
- Robust and diligent scientific method.
- Familiarity with a variety of assay technologies and data handling software.
- Critical thinker who will probe and question the options.
- Proactively provides robust scientific solutions to complex problems to internal colleagues and clients across disciplines.
- Logical and objective and can effectively evaluate alternatives.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, in order to serve an effective mentor for internal scientific staff and to represent CRL externally (meetings, BD).
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and strong organizational skills in order to contribute to several programs concurrently.
- Excellent biology assay skills.
- Strong biology and drug discovery knowledge.
- Strong understanding of the scientific literature with a commitment to self-motivation and the motivation of others.
- Ability to effectively communicate with clients in a variety of formats e.g., teleconference, face-to-face, written.
Discovery from Charles River is industry-proven in the successful development of novel therapies, with over 320 patents and 74 preclinical drug candidates delivered to our sponsors in the past 17 years. Backed by more than 650 scientists, our comprehensive, integrated portfolio employs the latest technology and platforms to provide chemistry, biology, and pharmacology services that support clients from the earliest stages of hit identification all the way through to IND. Our client-focused, collaborative approach creates true partnerships that anticipate challenges, overcome obstacles, and move us forward together on the journey of getting new drugs to market.
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients’ clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 11,000 employees within 70 facilities in 18 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client’s unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world. And in 2016, revenue increased by 23.3% to $1.68 billion from $1.36 billion in 2015.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people’s lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of ~70% of the drugs approved by the FDA in 2016.
For more information, please visit www.criver.com.