Team Lead DSP Development (lab&pilot scale) at Janssen Vaccines
Janssen Vaccines & Prevention, one of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, is dedicated to bringing meaningful innovation to global health. Our teams focus on the discovery, development, manufacture and marketing of vaccines and antibodies to protect people worldwide from infectious diseases.
In our organization entrepreneurial people work in a dynamic culture in which innovation and a 'can do' state of mind are the central points. In order to strengthen our team we are continuously looking for enthusiastic, talented people who have the ambition to develop themselves and can be of value to Janssen.
The ‘Down Stream Processing’ (DSP) department forms part of the Drug Substance Development group and develops & characterizes processes for purifying and formulating recombinant viruses from harvest as a vaccine production platform. These processes must be safe, scalable and economically viable. They will be implemented in a GMP pilot plant facility for the production of clinical trial material and scaled-up for commercial production.
We are looking for a motivated Team Lead who is enthusiastic about team dynamics & people management and who will be responsible for the overall organization of the DSP Research Execution Team (lab & pilot scale, a diverse team of ~20 people). The DSP Execution Team prepares, executes, and reports experiments to meet project demands. On average the team runs 30-40 studies for ~5 different projects on an annual basis. In this role, you will work together with an operational lead and a data lead to ensure a high level of operational excellence and state-of-the-art data-management. As overall Team Lead, you will be responsible for the overall planning, balancing between maximizing output and being the gatekeeper of the workload. In addition, you will be the line-manager of part of the team and will work with them to develop their own skills.
Your main tasks will be:
- Responsible for the overall planning, ensuring maximum output and act as gatekeeper to maintain proper workload
- Managing the team’s stakeholders and balancing the priorities and size of many varied parallel studies
- Guide the operational and data lead in shaping and fulfilling their responsibilities
- Working together with the scientists to optimize and prioritize study requests
- Working with the whole team to ensure excellent team dynamics
- Responsible for the appropiate EHS&S and Quality standard of the team
- Develop the CAPEX strategy for the labs
- Support cross departmental collaboration with other departments (e.g. USP, GMP pilot plant and Commercial production facility), ensuring optimal alignment.
- Responsible for the development of direct reports, including the 5 conversations and have a key role in recruitment of new hires
You will be part of the DSP Leadership team, which is responsible for the overall departmental performance.
Shaping/implementing a strategy for the future development/evolution of the team
- PhD in chemical engineering, microbiology or similar life science related field with minimum of 3 years of hands-on scientific DSP experience (lab, pilot and/or production scale)
- Minimal 3 years of People Management Experience (min 4-5 FTE)
- Proven experience with team dynamics
The most important competencies for this position are:
- People management skills
- Organizational and planning skills
- Proven scientific DSP experience
- Effective in team-based/matrix environment
- Demonstrated communication capabilities and the ability to build by-in for projects and new ideas
- Quality, efficiency, accuracy and reliability of work