Senior Bioinformatics Analyst at GenomeScan
Job Opportunity: Senior Bioinformatics Analyst (40 hours per week)
GenomeScan provides innovative DNA analyses for patient diagnostics and genetic laboratory research. Our diagnostic tests may detect the genetic cause(s) behind disease and can help tailor the treatment to individual patients. That is why our slogan is "Caring for your Future".
We are an ISO/IEC 17025 and ISO/IEC 15189 accredited company; these are international standards for laboratory excellence. We provide a complete portfolio of cutting-edge Next Generation Sequencing techniques to analyze hereditary traits in all organisms, including Exome Sequencing, Inherited Disease Panel Sequencing, DNA Sequencing, Transcriptomics, Methylation - Epigenetics and Bio-Informatics.
We have a professional mixed young and experienced team. Together we work hard to achieve our goals in an informal and inspiring atmosphere. But we also like to party from time to time and celebrate good results made.
Due to our growth in projects we are looking for a new colleague in our Bioinformatics team!
A Bioinformatics analyst contributes to scientific analysis of large scale data sets using a variety of bioinformatics techniques and software applications. The projects in which he may be involved include commercial projects, validations, research projects (grants), and software development. Responsibilities include generating, processing, annotating, and analyzing biological relevant genomic data and preparing the data for further research according to the specifications agreed with the customer. All work will be accompanied with proper scientific reporting of the performed analyses, all according to the company quality standards.
The Bioinformatics Analyst reports to the Manager Bio-IT.
- Data mining, annotation and analysis of data generated by genomics experiments that results from either in-house or externally performed experiments;
- Interpretation of complex biological information and filtering of data sets while maintaining biological relevance;
- To prepare data sets and reports for customers under supervision of the Manager Bio-IT;
- To design and implement pipelines for co-workers or customers for analysis of projects with related research questions;
- To understand QC metrics and provide appropriate analysis and technical feedback to customers;
- To use expert knowledge in data processing and programming to develop and improve data processing of data generated by laboratory experiments;
- To evaluate data resulting from the designed pipelines, and resolve conflicting and problem areas resulting in data quality according to company standards;
- To handle data, perform data-analysis and recording of results whilst adhering to relevant procedures and company quality standards as well as health and safety guidelines that are established in the Laboratory;
- To maintain knowledge of both relevant scientific literature as well as bioinformatics software and scripting languages;
- To develop, write and keep up to date Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and related documents in cooperation with the Manager Bio-IT;
- To take care of all related administrative tasks where necessary;
- To consult with and advise customers to further clarify project descriptions as determined by the Sales department to ensure that delivery expectations are met, under the supervision of the Manager Bio-IT;
- Resolves customer complaints and responds to suggestions for improvements and enhancements from end-users, under supervision of the Manager Bio-IT;
- To perform data-analysis according to the time frame determined in accordance with the Manager Bio-IT and to actively inform the Manager Bio-IT of the progression of projects;
- Any other activities in line with this description.
- Master’s or PhD degree in Bioinformatics or similar specialization in Molecular Biology;
- Minimum 3 years of proven experience with Next Generation Sequencing;
- Hands-on experience in processing and analyzing large scale genomic datasets;
- Experience with scripting languages such as Shell scripting, Python, R, or Perl;
- Experience in working in a Linux environment;
- Excellent knowledge of English both verbally and in writing.
- Accuracy and quality awareness;
- Customer orientated;
- Team player;
- Proactive attitude;
- Ability to work under pressure.
Are you the Senior Bioinformatics Analyst we are looking for?
Please send your resume and motivation to Vivienne Heemskerk, HR Manager firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions, please call +31 (0)71 – 568 10 50.