Director Biology at Charles River Nederland BV
We have an interesting opportunity for an experienced individual to join Charles River as a Director in Biology. In this role, the successful candidate will provide strong scientific, operational and strategic leadership to multiple teams in the Leiden Biology department, consisting of a group of between 80-120 scientists working on projects covering a range of therapeutic areas including neurology, inflammation, (immuno)-oncology, and rare and orphan diseases.
The Biology department works on projects through all stages of the drug discovery process from hit identification through to pre-clinical candidate nomination. The Leiden Biology group is responsible for drug discovery activities such as (complex) cell-based assay development, HTS, target validation, supporting integrated drug discovery including cell and gene therapy programs.
In addition to line management, scientific supervision of the department and scientific project management, the successful candidate will also be involved in supporting business development activities to identify new clients and collaborations.
These activities will include meeting potential collaborators and preparing scientific presentations which outline Charles River Discovery’s capabilities and expertise. The successful candidate will also work closely with management of the other Biology departments in Europe and the UK.
- Manage, lead, motivate and develop a section of the scientific staff (~30-60 people), including direct line management of Group Leaders and Research Leaders, in accordance with company directions and policies.
- Contribute to the management and performance of the Biology department through participation at relevant meetings and taking on selected responsibilities relevant to the role (e.g. efficiency programs, recruitment of staff, facilities etc.).
- To ensure the Biology department meets the company goals in resource utilization and revenue / Operating Income (OI) generation.
- To be responsible for the leadership of project(s) ensuring effective integration across sites and disciplines and delivery on project objectives.
- Maintain an up-to-date understanding of scientific developments within the appropriate fields.
- Ensure a high level of scientific standard is maintained on all programs.
- Provide scientific support to business development activities aimed at maintaining client satisfaction and identify and secure new business.
- MSc or PhD in a relevant discipline and >10 years of relevant industry (CRO, Pharma or Biotech) experience.
- Proven track record in one of the following areas: Cell & Gene Therapy (e.g. CAR-T, AAV), Biologics (e.g. ASOs, antibody therapeutics, protein therapeutics), Immunology or Integrated Drug Discovery is an advantage.
- Experience in managing larger teams (>25 people) and/or departments (including management of resource and budget with the ability to work closely with support functions such as HR, finance, quality/regulatory and facilities)
- Ability to manage multiple projects and responsibilities at the same time. Experience in managing project teams regarding quality, timelines and cost.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills. Can reason with complex information, a critical thinker who will probe and question the options.
- Proactive and flexible team player with excellent team building skills.
- Ability to discuss and debate data and project strategy with demanding clients and scientific experts.
- Proven track record in business development, preferably in a contract research environment.
- Fluent in English.