Scientist (PhD) Vico Therapeutics B.V. at
“Bringing knowledge, experience and science together to discover, develop and deliver therapies for CNS disorders”
Vico Therapeutics BV is a Leiden-based biotech company with a focus on developing innovative antisense oligonucleotide therapies for rare neurological disorders.
Vico’s lead compound is an antisense oligonucleotide targeting expanded (CAG) trinucleotide repeats that translate into abnormally long and toxic polyglutamine (polyQ) stretches in proteins; the cause of a series of neurodegenerative polyQ disorders like Huntington’s disease (HD) and Spinocerebellar Ataxia type 1 (SCA1) and 3 (SCA3). Vico is advancing this program towards a first-in-human trial expected 2H2021. Further pipeline programs include RNA modulating/editing for other neurological disorders like RETT syndrome, a rare neurodevelopmental disorder resulting in severe mental and physical disability. The underlying genetic defect is a mutation in the gene encoding the global transcriptional regulator Methyl CpG Binding Protein 2 (MECP2) that is essential for normal nerve development and function. There is no cure, treatment is directed at improving symptoms. Our therapeutic approach is based on antisense oligonucleotide-mediated modulation of RNA to repair mutant MECP2 and reverse symptoms.
We are currently looking for a:
to help expand our innovative drug discovery for RETT and other brain disorders, applying state-of-the-art technologies and chemistries. We offer ~1000 m2 of lab space attractively combining molecular biology and oligochemistry & manufacturing units with well-maintained equipment. Vico is a small, dynamic, and efficient organisation (currently 20 employees) and our scientists are positive and dedicated with continued focus on science and quality. We have a long track record of academic collaborations and publications in the field of antisense oligonucleotides for neuromuscular disorders, and genuinely value strong alliances with patient organisations.
Your responsibilities and tasks will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- become subject matter expert on RNA-modulating/editing technologies applying antisense oligonucleotides in the field of brain disorders
- monitor related scientific publications and patent applications and translate obtained insights to innovative design of oligonucleotides and experiments
- support the project team and report to the CSO
- a PhD degree in molecular biology or life
- expertise in neuroscience therapeutic area, neurodegenerative cell and mouse models, and/or with antisense oligonucleotides is essential
- the ability to multitask and to function effectively in a fast-paced environment
- excellent communication skills, fluency in English
- strong scientific writing skills
- a team player with a pro-active attitude
Please send your resume and motivation letter to:
Vico Therapeutics BV
Desiree van Balen (HR)
Phone: +31 (0)71 2036816 or 06-25397267
NB: we collect personal data for selection purposes only. All personal data will be destroyed within 4 weeks after completion of the procedure.