Group Leader at Charles River Nederland BV
Due to our continued growth we have an exciting opportunity for a talented, highly motivated individual at our state of the art drug discovery site in Leiden.
The appointed Group Leader will be a key member of the Operational Management Team providing strong scientific, operational and strategic leadership to multiple teams at the Leiden site of our Biology Department. Besides line management of your direct reports, you will lead scientific project teams, as well as be involved with business development activities. As part of the management team, you will play a key role in building and managing the Leiden Biology team.
- Line management of up to 10 direct reports (scientific staff) in accordance with company directions and policies. Responsible for performance reviews, succession planning, development and training of team members.
- Contribute to the management and performance of the Leiden Biology team by taking on selected responsibilities (e.g. recruitment, operational projects etc.).
- Leading scientific projects and project teams aimed at maintaining client satisfaction as well as delivery on project objectives and financials.
- Ensure a high level of scientific standard is maintained on projects involved.
- Participate in business development activities to identify and secure new business (e.g. client calls, proposal writing etc).
- >5 years experience as a team leader in an industrial setting, ideally within a pharma, biotech or CRO environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to motivate multiple teams.
- Familiar with all aspects of drug discovery (e.g. HTS, biomarker strategies and development of appropriate screening cascades) and experience in complex in vitro biology, such as use of primary cells, stem cells or 3D cultures in drug discovery. Experience with new therapeutic modalities such as cell therapy, gene therapy or biologics (e.g. proteins, antibodies, ASOs) is a plus.
- Able to work across various therapeutic areas in order to apply these skills to ongoing and new projects. A flexible and dynamic approach towards achieving client-based objectives and meeting challenging deadlines is required, as is the ability to communicate confidently and concisely with clients via teleconferences, presentations and written reports.
- Strong communication skills: able to connect across different CRL sites in order to drive project goals and enhance best practice, while working with our international Business Development teams to establish client needs.